What if we took advantage of post-confinement to write a new page in human history ?
« Strike while the iron is hot »
The health crisis linked to the Covid-19 pandemic has plunged the world into a state of amazement. It bluntly brought to light the wanderings of modern societies. Shall we return after confinement to « Business As Usual »? What if we took advantage of this to lay the foundations for a new era?
The confinement has physically separated us from each other, and our first need is to meet, very locally, in order to share our joys, but also our sorrows, our anxieties for the future of our children, for the future of the planet.
… while connecting between « earthlings »
At the same time the health crisis that we are going through has created a « moment », a kind of synchronization of our energies, going beyond nations, cultures, and leading us to experience a little more our identity « earthly » « . We know that this crisis is in reality global, and that the only relevant scale to respond to it effectively is the planetary scale. How can we prolong this « moment » and deepen our experience of a humanity acting « as one human being »?
Make Earth Overshoot Day (EOD) the first planetary ritual of the post-industrial era
What is Earth Overshoot Day ?
Earth Overshoot Day marks the date when humanity’s demand for ecological resources and services in a given year exceeds what Earth can regenerate in that year. We maintain this deficit by liquidating stocks of ecological resources and accumulating waste, primarily carbon dioxide in the atmosphere. Earth Overshoot Day is hosted and calculated by Global Footprint Network, an international research organization that provides decision-makers with a menu of tools to help the human economy operate within Earth’s ecological limits.
By Earth Overshoot Day 2020, we will have used more from nature than our planet can renew in the whole year. Since the 1970s, the date of the overshoot has deteriorated. In 1998, it took place on September 30. In 2019, she arrived two months earlier: July 29. The date of 2020 Overshoot Day will be announced on June 5, World Environment Day.
Why choosing Earth Overshoot Day ?
We chose to meet on « Overshoot Day » (Towards the end of July), because it highlights the concepts of biocapacity (and therefore planetary limits), and ecological footprint (and therefore the link with our lifestyles). This date also has the immense advantage of being « planetary », which makes it possible to imagine arousing the desire for humans from anywhere in the world to join this initiative.
Why celebrating together Overshoot Day ?
By organizing simultaneously all over the planet your own commemoration ceremony in any public place, for:
- human victims of ecological and climatic disorders since the beginning of the Anthropocene
- human victims of capitalism and modern way of thinking
- non-human victims of ecological and climatic disorders, and in particular of extinct or endangered species
- degraded landscapes, razed forests, plundered resources
- of our children, grandchildren and great grandchildren, who will be victims of these disorders anyway.
To talk about what happens
By organizing any kind of meeting, event for people to share with others, around 3 inseparable dimensions:
- Facing reality. What’s really happening in the world ? It is about TAKING COLLECTIVELY IN HAND THE AWAKENING OF OUR CONSCIENCES, which has become necessary and urgent. We can rely on testimonies, stories, mobilize artists, storytellers, etc.
- Take care of our humanity in transition. Let those who have crossed the threshold put themselves at the service of those who are still in denial, dumbfounding, flight, anger, etc. It’s about TAKING CARE OF OTHERS, because we don’t experience it all the same way. We can mobilize facilitators, therapists, etc.
- ORGANIZE LOCALLY TO TAKE OUR RESPONSIBILITIES. Establish all forms of cooperation, mutual aid, serving the construction of tomorrow. Convene the non-human, set up local « natural contracts » from an inventory of the commons. We can mobilize the actors of the transition movement, peasants, etc.
To celebrate Earth and local cultures
By organisazing festivities celebrating Earth and highlighting the diversity of local cultures. Be creative and viral !
Display a common ambition, develop the earth identity
The idea is also to #MoveTheDate of Earth Overshoot Day : this means that by participating in such a dynamic we give substance to a commitment of everyone towards the Earth community : to participate in the common effort to postpone Overshoot Day. Who knows, this will perhaps allow us to measure, from year to year, the road traveled collectively, and, by moving the date of our planetary celebration, to have new reasons to celebrate!
Celebrate erveywhere Earth Overshoot Day !
If you think that post-confinement world shouldn’t look like the previous one, than gather people around you and organize your own Overshoot Day Celebration !
#MoveTheDate #EOD #LetsCelebrateEOD